Saturday, October 10, 2009

Antics From My Middle Child & Magical Loaf Studio




My 4 year old son is so lovely. I mean, he really is.

He's a cute, little fella.

He can just astound us with his sense of curiosity, the sweet ways he shows us love, and his ability to decipher the marvelousness of God's creations.

He likes to give Ghetti rides in his big Tonka truck. Creative and sweet. So, yeah, he does amazing things...

and sometimes by amazing, I mean ARE YOU CRAZY?!

Today I saw him acting funny with a straw in the kitchen. I went on with my business. A little bit later I realized he was in the downstairs bathroom with the door closed. I entered. (Of course. You always enter a closed-door room that Dash is in.) He had filled the sink up with water, and the straw was in his mouth in the water. I'm sure he had been blowing bubbles, and I'm sure he was also drinking the water. Because his excuse was, "But I was really, really thirsty."

Today for lunch I made my husband proud by making a "meatloaf"ish meal. He always asks for one. And I've been meaning to try out The Magical Loaf Studio. I saw it on Vegan Lunch Box. It worked great.

You just have to pick your protein, carb, liquid, nuts, veggies, binder, and spices.

I used lentils, wheat germ, whole wheat bread crumbs, vegetable broth, walnuts & almonds, carrots & onions & a bit of spinach, ground flaxseed, oregano, Italian seasoning, ketchup, cumin, and salt.

It was so easy, and it was so good! You should definitely try it.

We also had steamed broccoli because, like I've said, it's just an easy vegetable all the kids will eat.
I also experimented with scalloped potatoes. I had already peeled the potatoes when I realized my nutritional yeast was missing. I have no idea where it is; maybe it's at my parents'.

So I couldn't use this recipe I planned to use from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen. I looked at it for ideas, and I also looked at this one from Tofu-N-Sproutz. I ended up slicing the potatoes and cooking them (careful not to overcook them since they're also being baked). Between the layers of potatoes I spread a mixture of unsweetened almond milk, Tofutti Sour Supreme (the non-hydrogenated version of their sour cream), flour, cornstarch, garlic, onion powder, salt, lemon juice, and cashew butter.

I can't tell you the amounts; I've mentioned before I get very distracted using recipes. I topped it with some Orgran Rice Crumbs and Daiya cheese.

Speaking of Daiya...my friend Carrie told me she saw Daiya being used/talked about on the ellen degeneres show (because Ellen is vegan) the other day. Here is the recipe for vegan tacos her personal chef made.

No comments:

Post a Comment