Saturday, August 14, 2010

Catch Up: my cooler, the movie, and the river

I occasionally hear my friends complain about being overwhelmingly busy - in a way that they just don't feel like they would ever catch up. I always nod understandingly, but honestly, I don't always feel that way. I feel like I do catch up sometimes, at least to a point, and I can usually shrug away the rest of it. Not this summer, though. I feel like I'm having one of those dreams...have you ever had one of those...when you're trying really hard to go quickly - like you're running late or someone's chasing you - but you can barely move.

I feel that way right now. I'm flailing about in the water.

I don't mean that as a complaint. I'm having lots of fun in the water. Just ready for the list of things hanging over my head to be checked off. And I'm starting a job this week! (Okay, so those of you who work real 8-5's are going to think my job is ridiculously wimpy, but it's a commitment, nonetheless!)

So on to a little blog catch up (and I'm still catching up on my blog reading, too - if you get 5 comments from me at once, you'll know why)...

As a part of offering my CSN blog giveaway (which is open until Sunday night!), I also was blessed to receive a gift certificate of my own. It was a tough choice! I considered some of the things you guys said you'd want (Really considered that cotton candy maker, blessedmama! That looks fun!). We ended up picking out this car cooler that plugs into your car. We are always on the go - whether cross country or just around town. With 3 kids and always bringing food and drinks along with us wherever we go, keeping it all cool is constantly an issue. We always have to get fresh ice or re-freeze our ice packs when we reach our destination. So hopefully this will make our lives a little easier! We purchased the electric adaptor to go with it so that we will have a ready-made fridge to carry into our hotel rooms! (Go to my other blog to read my full review.)

I kind of have dorky movie taste so don't judge me. :) I had been really excited about going to watch Beezus and Ramona. I took the kids one day (complete with our illegal movie snacks), and we loved it! I got teary-eyed several times throughout. Here is one of the kids' containers - filled with carrots, grapes, Sharkies organic fruit chews, fruit roll-ups, and Averie's Raw Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls. Yes, there is a lot of sweetness in there.


They also took baggies of veggie straws.

They ate everything.

While my sister and her kids were visiting, we (including my parents) drove about an hour and a half to the Buffalo River. My brother and his family drove south about the same distance to meet us all. It was my entire family, besides my sister Tracy and brother-in-law Andy. It was super fun, as it always is with my family.

my hastily made mock chicken salad sandwich

I started to eat, and my lovingly sarcastic brother called out, "Don't forget to take a picture of your food!" It is a phenomenon to him that I regularly photograph my meals. I told him I'm not the only one who does it, but I don't know if he believes me.

my dad

We stayed until sundown.

More catch-up soon...I need to accept my awesome awards I've received and write about my fun anniversary trip with Ryan.


18 comments:

  1. so BlessedMama wants a cotton candy machine also!!!i thought i was the only one, i have a weenie kid size toy one, that doesnt cut it! buying vegan sugar would get expensive though so its probably a good thing i dont have one.
    i love your reusable baggies. do you make things like that yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family does that too about the food. They thinks I'm quite nuts I do believe. At least you're having fun like you said. It'd be really bad if you were so crazy busy but it wasn't enjoyable. By the way, how often does your hubby cycle? Mine is always looking for more friends to go ride with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sandwich looks really good! Did you use gardein strips?

    ReplyDelete
  4. dirtyduck, I did not make those baggies. I ordered a bunch from an etsy shop over a year ago. We love them. They have held up to 3 kids using them constantly.

    Heather, Ryan rides almost every day that we are in town. Shall we set them up on a cycling date? :)

    Stacy, I wish I could tell you some great way that I prepared that salad...but I bought it from the deli at Whole Foods. I'm not sure what they use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes, I've had that chasing dream before... the horror! I hope things clear up a little for you soon so you can take a breather and relax. That cooler sounds really cool... refrigerator right in your trunk? Love it. And I wish you luck on your first day at the job this week! :]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Diana! I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems only food bloggers understand photographing food. I get grief here too.

    I have thought of getting one of those coolers for trips to the grocery store. Can't wait to hear how you like it once you get a chance to use it more.

    Good luck with the new gig.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  8. So the baggies have the added benefit of being quiet when being snuck into the movie theatre! Were Roni & Ghetti at the river too?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, the baggies are quieter than plastic...at least after the initial ripping sound of the velcro. :) Roni & Ghetti, were NOT at the river. ha! So sorry if I offended all of you "pets are a member of the family" types by not mentioning their absence. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey girl, I think that Jason might really enjoy that. Maybe you and I could hang out too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome cooler! I hear you about the pain in the butt that is constantly having to make sure there's enough ice in the cooler.

    That is some good looking movie food! It sure beats that yucky cardboardy concession stand popcorn.

    Good luck with the new job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're not alone in that "flailing" feeling...I feel that way w/o 3 kids! Your new job could never sound whimpy...3 kids sounds like a full-time job to me, and you taking on another jobs sounds very industrious. Congrats and good luck on your new job.

    The day at the river looks wonderful...so does your mock chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by our blog. I really like your blog. The food and pictures are great. Happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like good river fun. If I win, I'll be sure to take some sticky-cheeks pics of my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am excited about seeing Ramona, too. I hope the movie was as good as the snacks!

    Some family time at the river sounds great, and I can see why being prepared with coolers and baggies is important for you. I also get reminders to photograph food. It's nice, though, because sometimes I feel like a pest snapping photos, but when they remind me to, I take it as encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just followed your comment on my blog over to yours! Love it :D I'm adding you to my blog roll!

    Beautiful river pictures, looks so refreshing on these hot summer days.

    I want to see Beezus and Ramona too! I remember reading all those books as a kid :)

    And a car cooler is a great pick! Such a great idea :D

    ~Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  17. i am overtaxed 100% of the time. i never feel like i am above water. mom, wife, blogger, 25 hrs a week job...never above water. but that's what life is...busy!

    i am glad you like the balls! thanks for linking them and bringing them on your excursion!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gauri Radha गौरी राधाMay 7, 2011 at 12:14 AM

    Good idea for taking to the movies!!

    ReplyDelete